Clarets Into BBC Essex Senior Cup Final


Chelmsford City 4-0 Heybridge Swifts, Monday 13th February 2017, Kick-Off 7:30pm, Melbourne Community Stadium, BBC Essex Senior Cup Semi-Final.

Click here to view Matt Bradshaw's action photos from this match.

A clinical second-half performance from Chelmsford City saw the Clarets reach a tenth BBC Essex Senior Cup Final as Heybridge Swifts were defeated 4-0 at Melbourne.

Jody Brown’s Heybridge side held their opponents in the first half and could’ve grabbed a 1st-minute lead through pacey forward Adam Bolle. But, in the end, two quick-fire goals early in the second half from Chelmsford’s Kane Haysman, his first goals for the club, and Chris Dickson, gave the visitors a mountain to climb before Max Cornhill and an own goal by Phil Anderson saw the hosts complete the win.

Ryman North Swifts have enjoyed two excellent runs in the Senior Cup and last season’s runners-up have been trumped only by a side from the Vanarana National League South - two divisions up the pyramid - for a second successive season after narrowly going down 1-0 to Concord Rangers in last season’s final. First-time finalists and divisional rivals East Thurrock United will now await the Clarets in the final.

Bolle’s early opening saw the speedy front man burst into the penalty area before flashing an effort just over the top, but City responded quickly and Matt Young played in Luke Daley whose rasping shot was pushed over by Swifts goalkeeper Danny Sambridge. City had a let-off when their own custodian, Ross Fitzsimons, miskicked a backpass with the ball rolling just past the post. But they soon got hold of the contest.

Daley saw an effort blocked, with Dickson unable to turn in the rebound. Daley fired over the top in space and Dickson sent a dipping effort just off-target later on. Dickson also just missed out with a screwed shot following good play from Daley, with an opportunity for Swifts then seeing George Cole’s drive well held by Fitzsimons.

The last chance of the first half forced Swifts stopper Sambridge to cling onto a decent in-swinging free kick from Haysman underneath the crossbar. City then eventually edged ahead seven minutes after the restart as an excellent cross by Luke Daley met the diving head of Haysman, who beat Sambridge at the near post.

Just four minutes later, the lead was doubled as a good run from Haysman brought a deep centre to the back post where Dickson finished neatly in off the bar from a tight angle. Cornhill headed in the third on 73 minutes, with Haysman again providing the assist from a corner, before the win was wrapped-up seven minutes from time.

Anderson’s misplaced backpass caught out ‘keeper Sambridge and rolled into the net. The game had gone from the away side, but they continued to fight and substitute Reece Grant saw a strike held by Fitzsimons as Swifts drew a close on another successful Senior Cup campaign.

Chelmsford City: Ross Fitzsimons, Matt Young (Chris Bush, 72), Bagasan Graham, Max Cornhill, Michael Spillane, Josh Hill, Luke Daley, Josh Rees, Chris Dickson (Elliott Buchanan, 78), Philip Roberts (Liam Enver-Marum, 62), Kane Haysman. Unused Substitutes: Anthony Church, Robbie Willmott.

Heybridge Swifts: Danny Sambridge, Marley Andrews, Guillem Ramon, Jack Smith (Reece Grant, 60), Alieu Njie, Philip Anderson, Lewis Dark, Lewis Godbold, Adam Yusuff, Adam Bolle, George Cole (Nicholas Brown, 78). Unused Substitutes: Glen Little, Richard Hutchings, Joshua Sykes.

Bookings: Heybridge: Sambridge (43, handball), Dark (76, dissent).

Referee: Daniel Cook (Colchester)

Assistant Referees: Aaron Farmer (Colchester) and Christopher Horsman (Colchester)

Attendance: 309.

Facebook Stream Facebook Stream

Buy Now England vs Slovenia