Swifts Lift Tolleshunt D'Arcy Memorial Cup


Heybridge Swifts 3-1 Hullbridge Sports, Tuesday 11th April 2017, Kick-Off 7:45pm, Scraley Road, Tolleshunt D’Arcy Memorial Cup Final.

Click here to see more photos from this match on Facebook.

Heybridge Swifts became the fourth club to win the Tolleshunt D’Arcy Memorial Cup for a third successive season as a repeat result of 2016’s final saw Hullbridge Sports defeated 3-1 at Scraley Road.

Goals from Ade Yusuff, a Reece Grant penalty and Jack Cawley sealed a seventh all-time success for Swifts despite Jimmy Cox pulling a goal back for Hullbridge, also from the penalty spot. The Tolleshunt D’Arcy Memorial Cup is an invitational competition which has been running since 1933 and currently raises funds for the Essex County FA’s Benevolent Fund.

Traditionally open to sides within a ten mile radius of the village of Tolleshunt D’Arcy, the geographical parameters have been slightly extended in recent years, but there remains a local feel to the charity competition, with Heybridge and Hullbridge being joined in the earlier rounds by Brightlingsea Regent, Burnham Ramblers, Halstead Town, Maldon & Tiptree, Stanway Rovers and Wivenhoe Town.

This latest final, played in front of a crowd of 130, was a little slow to come to life, but Swifts grabbed the lead on 20 minutes as Yusuff burst into the penalty area before driving a low shot just inside the near post. After that, Hullbridge’s Aaron Hunwicks saw a free kick well held by Heybridge goalkeeper Lewis Moore while Luke Hornsley had a chance to double his side’s lead before the break, but saw his shot flashed off-target.

Hullbridge’s Luca Frankis’ low, angled effort brought a good save from Moore early in the second half, but two goals in three minutes leading up to the hour mark sealed the tie. Initially Hornsley was tripped in the area and Grant despatched the resulting spot kick before a swinging free-kick from George Cole was headed in by Cawley at the far post.

Yusuff then curled wide after the ball had broken to him ten yards from goal as he looked to seal the win but, on 66 minutes, Sports pulled a goal back. Cox was barged over in the penalty area and he stepped up himself to coolly score from twelve yards. Heybridge’s Alieu Njie was sent off in the closing stages following a reckless challenge, but Swifts were able to hold on to repeat last season’s final win over the same opponents.

Heybridge Swifts: Lewis Moore, Alieu Njie, Guillem Ramon, Harry Morgan, Jack Cawley, Philip Anderson, Riley Baker (Lewis Godbold, 69), Luke Hornsley (Marley Andrews, 83), Ade Yusuff, George Cole, Reece Grant (George Smith, 74). Unused Substitutes: Glen Little, Adam Bolle.

Hullbridge Sports: Jamie Merrells, Aaron Hunwicks, Sam Taylor, Dan Regan (Dean Wallace, 69), Robert Hodgson (Howard Wright, 81), Joe Turpin, Charlie Little (Ronnie Pallett, 81), Ben Perry, Jimmy Cox, Luca Frankis, Charlie Gerada. Unused Substitutes: Yuan Komol, Ryan Emery.

Bookings: Heybridge: Morgan (39, foul). Hullbridge: Little (73, foul).

Sent Off: Heybridge: Njie (79, dangerous play).

Referee: Richard Carter (Chelmsford).

Assistant Referees: Blair Stanley (Chelmsford) and Nathan Williamson (Witham).

Attendance: 130.

Facebook Stream Facebook Stream

Buy Now England vs Slovenia